elvish adj : usually good-naturedly mischievous; "perpetrated a practical joke with elfin delight"; "elvish tricks" [syn: elfin, elfish]
Tolkien's Elvish languagesAuthor J. R. R. Tolkien created many languages for Elves, which eventuated in the creation of a mythology (expounded in his books), complete with races, to speak the tongues he had constructed. His interest was primarily philological, and he said his stories grew out of his languages. The languages were the first thing Tolkien created for his mythos, starting with what he originally called "Qenya", the first primitive form of Elvish. This was later called Quenya (High-elven) and is one of the two most complete of Tolkien's languages (the other being Sindarin, or Grey-elven). The phonology, vocabulary and grammar of Quenya and Sindarin are strongly influenced by Finnish and Welsh, respectively. In addition to these two, he also created several other (partially derived) languages.
Other Elvish languagesSince Tolkien, others have invented Elvish languages in their own fiction. Several borrow sounds and forms (or even whole words) from Tolkien's Elvish languages, especially Quenya, while others are quite distinct.
- The Ancient Language The language of the elves in Eragon. Also used by the riders and other magic users to cast spells. Was the language of the now extinct Grey Folk. One can't lie in the Ancient Language and is bound by what he/she says in it.
- Elven, the language of the surface Elves of Dungeons & Dragons (of which there are several dialects)
- Elvish language of Andrzej Sapkowski's Hexer saga, based on Welsh and English
- Eltharin, the language of the elves of
Warhammer Fantasy setting:
- Fan-Eltharin, the language of the Wood Elves
- Tar-Eltharin, the language of the Sea Elves and High Elves
- Druhir, the language of the Dark Elves
- Sperethiel, The language of elves in Shadowrun.
- Ssamath, the language of the Dark Elves or Drow of Dungeons & Dragons,
- Elvish language of Gael Baudino's Strands series, based on the Romance languages.
- The Elvish language(s) of the Warcraft universe (Darnassian and Thalassian), which are not described in detail but superficially resemble Tolkien's
- The spiral-read language of the Artemis Fowl series